Obesity is a growing concern in the U.S.; overweight rates have doubled among children and tripled among adolescents. This increases the number of years that they are exposing themselves to dangerous health risks associated with obesity.
Here are 20 diseases or conditions that can be attributed to obesity:
1. Diabetes, a disorder where the pancreas is not producing enough or sometimes not any insulin. Diabetes can lead to a whole host of other medical issues and obesity is one of the main causes.
2. Cancer has many different forms and types; many of them could be prevented with more attention to eating healthily and avoiding obesity.
3. Congestive Heart Failure is a condition in which the heart can’t pump enough blood to the body’s other organs.
4. Enlarged Heart is another heart condition where the muscle of the heart become larger due to being overworked, which naturally happens if you are overweight.
5. Pulmonary Embolism is a sometimes fatal blockage of an artery. Being overweight causes most people to reduce activity, and after time lack of activity can result in an embolism.
6. Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome is a condition in which cysts develop in your ovaries. These can burst, causing even further problems.
7. Gastro-Esophageal Reflux Disease happens when stomach acid and juices flow from the stomach back up into the esophagus. It is common in overweight people.
8. Fatty Liver Disease is a reversible condition in which large pockets of fat accumulate in liver cells.
9. A Hernia is caused when the hole in the diaphragm weakens and enlarges.
10. Erectile Dysfunction is the inability to develop or maintain an erection, which can be caused by a medical problem due to obesity.
11. Urinary Incontinence is the inability to control urination. It is frequently associated with obesity, weak bladder and pelvic floor muscles
12. Chronic Renal Failure, meaning the kidneys fail to work, is a much greater risk to those that are overweight or obese.
13. Lymph Edema is a condition that occurs from a damaged or dysfunctional lymphatic system, sometimes caused by people suffering from obesity actually crushing their own lymphatics.
14. Cellulitis is clinically a spreading infection, involving both the dermis and subcutaneous skin tissues, resulting from poor lymph flow caused by obesity.
15. Stroke is caused by a lack of blood supply to the brain.
16. Pickwickian Syndrome is characterized by sleep apnea resulting from obesity placing an excessive load on the pulmonary system.
17. Depression is a condition where a person feels miserably constantly, even to the point of being suicidal. It can be worse for someone who also has a weight problem.
18. Osteoarthritis is a clinical syndrome in which low-grade inflammation results in pain in the joints. It is caused by abnormal wearing of the cartilage, oftentimes due to obesity.
19. Gout occurs when uric acid accumulates in the blood. Nerve endings then become irritated, causing extreme pain which is made worse by carrying extra weight.
20. Gallbladder Disease commonly affects overweight people as a result of high blood cholesterol levels, which causes gall stones.
According to the Surgeon General report, obesity is responsible for 300,000 deaths every year in the U.S.
* Scientific Laboratory for Food Intolerance